Sunday, 28 February 2016


On Friday the 12th February we met up in Llanymynech to begin constructing the background and central image of the banner. I brought the pieces I had laser-cut out of recycled leather, and we did a mock-up of how it would look, discussing in more detail the individual designs everyone was going to contribute and how they would fit in to the whole.

We also did a mock-up of the text sections, using letters laser-cut from yellow velvet.

It was a chance for everyone to take away the swatches of dyed fabric they needed for their part of the design too.

We started to get a better idea of the final piece and talked about how we would hang it. Perhaps on a piece of wood or iron reminiscent of canal infrastructure, with fabric loops on the banner.

There was a sense of excitement that we had reached a much more tangible stage of the project. Now we are looking forward to next time when we'll see how all the different decorative stitched elements, such as needlefelting, applique and paper-piecing, will come together around the central motif. 

No comments:

Post a Comment